Monday, November 2, 2015

First Look: Metal and Cedar Siding

I've been meaning to write about my siding, but since it's a step that urgently needs to get done, I've been prioritizing doing over writing! But since I have some photos, here they are...:


 Every corner will have a metal cap like the one shown here. This means I don't have to make perfect, beautiful, zero-wiggle-room corners. Yay!

The short side, front, and back are all mostly metal with shou sugi ban tongue and groove cedar accents. The tall side is pure cedar. In this picture you can see the gap in the metal siding that I will fill with cedar.

I'm using a rainscreen wall system.  Here, I fastened each metal sheet through a 2" strip of 1/2" CDX plywood to hold it out from the Tyvek. This so-called rainscreen system allows air to circulate behind the siding and dry it out when inevitably water makes its way back there--either via leakage or (even more inevitably) condensation.












In the back of the house, shou sugi ban cedar will extend in a tongue from the tall side and around the bathroom window. Another row of metal siding will go above it, like the one below it but angled with the angle of the roof.















Here's where we stand this morning:

1 comment:

  1. The little storage bin is one of my favorite parts! So cute.

    ReplyDelete