Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Floor Box - Day 5

(2.25 hrs)

Today I got into the paint closet, dug out our selection of exterior paints, and... realized that I should really put down a layer of primer, first.

So Dad and I went to Ace Hardware, got a gallon of Kilz-brand exterior water-based latex primer/sealer, and then set to work!

(Actually... Dad dropped me off at my grandparents' house and went home. Solo work day, womp wooomp.)

(Actually... it was fine.)


The first thing to do was actually to fill the seams and voids and cracks with caulk. This is both to give the paint a smoother surface to adhere to and to add an air-/waterproof seal between the exterior and the interior of the floor box. I used a latex caulk with silicone in it.

Go slow and make sure the caulk actually goes into the crack, not just over...

One piece had voids because I put it D-side up. Oops!
...Then smooth off the excess for a flat surface.




















I used just over one small tube of the stuff, and I maybe kind of went overboard. I'm not sure if it was necessary to caulk up every single screw penetration, but by gosh, I did!


The caulk was a quick-dry formula, meaning it had formed enough of a skin after 30 minutes to start rolling on the primer. I used maybe a third of the gallon of primer--the rest can be used elsewhere, like the trim--to give the surface one solid coat, plus the exposed edges of the plywood.

Looking good.

I chose a water-based primer because that's what was recommended on the bucket of latex paint I used, and because I understand that oil-based primers can take a long time to dry.

I chose to use primer at all because I was afraid the paint by itself wouldn't adhere to the bare wood surface of the plywood, and the undercarriage will be hard to repaint if it starts to peel. And if the paint peels, then the plywood will be exposed to the elements, could start leaking moisture into my floor box, and could eventually decay and leave my floor insulation sagging out of the bottom of my house. No good!

The weather is supposed to stay dry and 50ยบ-ish for the next couple of days, during which I hope to apply at least one coat of the green latex paint--maybe two (goodness knows we have plenty).




 





PS! Another discovery I made in the paint closet is this gem: a reproduction of the red paint used on my ancestors' house from the early 1700s, which is now a textile exhibit in Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts. I'll have to paint my door with it or something!



5 comments:

  1. That's some smooth-looking plywood! What shade of red is the paint? I think it would look pretty cool with the blue :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good, basic, deep red. Here's a picture of what the Fenno House looks like now, which I assume must show that color (whether or not it's what the house ACTUALLY had, historically, it is what it has now, in its place in OSV): http://www.panoramio.com/photo/62273961

      Delete
  2. Oooh, blue says Kseniya? Green you mentioned? Red? You'll have to do a sketch of the color scheme for me, so I can imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've been waffling a lot lately on the color of the siding and even whether or not I want to use any wood or have it all be metal! I'm glad I don't have to make decisions right now!

      Currently I'm thinking I'll try to make it an eclectic--but not too eclectic (easy to start looking haphazard)--mix of at least 3 colors and/or textures. Try to incorporate reclaimed materials, too.

      So... we're all going to be surprised. Haha. :-)

      Delete
    2. That sounds like your style, so I think it will be a perfect fit!

      Delete