Tuesday, February 10, 2015

I made a model!

For the past few months, I've dabbled in trying to learn SketchUp, a popular 3D modeling software used by many tiny housers to design their homes. I usually got frustrated because I tried to go into too much detail too soon; after all, I knew what I wanted the details to be--why can't I just get the [expletive] [expletive] program to [expletive] just [expletive] do it?!

Well, today I decided to keep it simple and just make a box to try out some ideas for the siding and roofing. I didn't attempt the roof overhang, wheel wells, trailer tongue, trim, or other little details.

And... I still seriously screwed it up and had to [expletive] [expletive] redo the whole [expletive].....

Anyhow.

I posted earlier that I have (so far) decided on a modern style with galvalume exposed-fastener steel roof and a mixture of galvalume and shou sugi ban charred cedar tongue-and-groove siding. There's a million ways I could approach the mixture, but here's one version:

(Just imagine the wooden siding being much darker, the steel siding and roofing having this texture, the roof having a thickness, the existence of a trailer/wheel well and some restrained trim--and please forgive the aliased lines...)




Here is the entrance side of the house, with 9' walls.  The 3' x 2' bedroom window can be seen to the right of the door, and the bathroom window on the end of the house facing the camera.

The roof will actually add about 6-7" of height; it won't be all flush with the house, as it appears here. And the wheel well will be under the door and extending a couple feet beyond it to the left.



And the same side, but from the front, or trailer tongue end. As you can see, I've included a "shed" on the trailer tongue. This is something that many tiny houses feature, and is a good spot to store the propane tank, tools, and other outdoor things. I haven't given its construction a ton of thought, but its roof will open upward on hinges.

I also plan to have some kind of folding awning over the door, for shelter while I'm looking for my keys or something like that. And, of course, a short flight of stairs leading to the door.

Now for the 11' tall side, which I will try to face south to take advantage of wintertime passive solar heating and lighting:




The big window is an egress-approved one, 4' x 4', and is positioned in the loft so I can sit up there and enjoy the view, the  breeze, the warmth of the sun, or any combination thereof... and hop out in case there's a fire or emergency and I can't escape through the door! I'm thinking of eventually building a deck around the house, so it would be about a 6' jump from the window to the deck; otherwise, more like an 8' jump, which I'd be happy to make if the alternative were burning to a crisp, you know. 

The medium sized windows are 2' x 3' and supply the kitchen with fresh air and light. The small clerestory windows are 3' x 1'. The bathroom window is 2' x 2'. All the windows are operable (i.e. can be opened).





Again, picture that wood much darker...

...Maybe something intermediary between the above wood color/pattern/texture and this black:



















It's just a first attempt, but what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of big updates! I'm so intrigued by the burnt cedar. How do you control the burning, so it doesn't go too deep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the videos I've watched, it seems like the wood just kind of blackens as they go over it with a propane torch. It never actually catches on fire, and if it does, they pat the flames out or spray it with water. Then you can scrub the charred material off, if you want, and char it more, if you want, or leave it looking all black and alligator-skin-y. I'll probably scrub mine, since I won't want soot rubbing off every time I touch the stuff. :-)

      Delete