Thursday, June 18, 2015

Dry-In: Weatherproof Barriers - Day 1

After attaching the wheel well sheathing today, Dad and I started installing the Tyvek house wrap. It was windy and by dinnertime it had begun to rain. Not fun work, but necessary. I only wish we'd gotten more done before that rain!

(I gloated a little when I saw the other house under construction in my neighborhood. It had an even smaller proportion of its Tyvek installed by the time the rain started. Ha!)

But more than the Tyvek, I regret not having the roof's weatherproof barrier installed before the rain hit. The rain drips straight through all those expansion gaps between the sheets of sheathing. That weatherproofing layer would be installed by now, except when I went to Home Depot to buy the stuff--Grace Ice and Water Shield--they didn't have any on the shelf! I had to order it specially at the contractor desk (was helped by a guy with a winning combination of chiseled facial features and nerd glasses--oh, yeah) and it won't be here until... sigh... tomorrow. Well, hopefully the sun comes out and dries out my sheathing tomorrow...

 I've already worked with Tyvek once before, when I used it to line the bays of my subfloor frame before installing the insulation. (The insulation which I hope it still nice and dry under there, despite the subfloor getting comprehensively rained on twice now...) My original impression that it possesses all the worst attributes of wrapping paper with none of the benefits--not pretty, no one's getting a present, and it's hard to cut--still holds true. It's slippery, it gets sharp creases that are hard to flatten out, and it's super noisy. Especially when it's windy, like today. However, it should do a great job of keeping the OSB dry!

And some of the OSB is staying dry this evening. I managed to complete the Tyvek installation on the windward side of the house, so most of the rain is being deflected.

And the roof sheathing will dry. And the subfloor will dry. It's not the first time a house has been rained on before being dried in, and it won't be the last.

So I'm going to relax, drink a cup of herbal tea, and enjoy the Pacific Northwest's first rainstorm in many weeks. Boy, we needed it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment